MASO History - About MASO Cont.
In the 1940s the New York Society of Orthodontists continued to add growing numbers of specialists from the New England states, Canada, and areas bordering the middle Atlantic coast to its rolls, and this condition made for crowded meetings and a desire to make its name truly reflective of its geographic profile. As a result, in 1946 the New York Society of Orthodontists became the Northeastern Society of Orthodontists.
At about the same time, the Northeastern Society’s soaring membership became one of several motives underlying discussions for forming a new constituent. Despite objectives from those who saw no need for such action, the movement was kept alive by its promoters, led first by Dr. William A. Giblin of Montclair, New Jersey, who was then an active member of the Southern society. He was soon joined by Drs. Gerald Devlin and Raymond Sheridan who helped carry on the formation of a new society to a successful conclusion.
In fact, it was Dr. Sheridan who appeared before the national Association's Board of Directors meeting in 1950, to petition the favorable consideration for forming a new constituent. Dr. Norman Hillyer, responding for the Northeastern body show that the proposal was not wholeheartedly concurred by the group whereupon the board appointed a committee to examine both sides of the issue.
Wilson Flint, reporting for this committee, determined the validity for the petition. He showed that: 1. a smaller unit could be beneficial from an educational standpoint; 2. the loss of some 50 or so members would soon be recouped by Northeastern through the continuing growth of the specialty, and 3. such move would give impetus to smaller groups to do things on their own. In conclusion the committee recommended support for the petition.
The committee's recommendation was sustained by constitutional action, and in 1951 a charter was granted. Geographic boundaries were to include New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Washington, DC, and Pennsylvania east the Alleghenies, and provisions made for Middle Atlantic to give consent to applicants in its jurisdiction to become members of any other society that may wish to accept them. Those currently members of the Northeastern and Southern societies could retain membership of those organizations.
With the good wishes the Northeastern constituent which presented the gift of a handsome silver bordered gavel, the Middle Atlantic Society of Orthodontists presented its first scientific program at Philadelphia in May of 1952; its first regular annual session came the following October. The list of seventy-one charter members was headed by a roster of officers that had Drs. George Anderson as its first President; Raymond Sheridan, Vice-president; Gerald Devlin, Secretary-Treasurer; and Stephen Hopkins, Editor. Emil Rosenast was the new societies’ first representative to the Board of Directors of the national orthodontic body.
By 1952 with establishment of the Middle Atlantic Society, reorganization of the American Association of Orthodontists was finalized. At that time its composition was as follows: the Pacific Coast Society organized in 1913, the Southwestern Society organized 1920, the Rocky Mountain Society organized in 1920, the Northeastern Society (formerly the New York Society) organized in 1921, the Southern Society organized 1921, the Great Lakes Society organized 1925, the Central Section (later Midwestern) organized in 1938, and the Middle Atlantic society organized 1952.
In 1960 in Washington, DC, the Middle Atlantic Society hosted the largest orthodontic meeting ever held. By 1966, membership had grown to a total of 247 active and 48 associate members and prospects were shown for continued growth. Individually, members of the Middle Atlantic Society were called upon to accept broader responsibilities in orthodontics. Dr. George Anderson served as President of the Association in 1960. Dr. Hopkins served as the Association’s Vice-president as well as President of the American Board of Orthodontics., and Dr. Charles Patton was elected President of the American Dental Association.
- << Prev